Connect with us

TNM Super League

Coronavirus Breakout Hits Bullets, Derby Match vs Wanderers Postponed

Nyasa Big Bullets players warming up before Saturday's match against Moyale/Image: NBB

Nyasa Big Bullet’s Super League away match to Be Forward Wanderers on Saturday has been postponed due to reasons beyond Super League of Malawi’s control, the league said in a statement.

Ironically, the development comes barely hours after Bullets FC announced that its Covid-19 caseload has now jumped from four to eleven following confirmation of nine new cases in the past 48 hours.

Bullets players, officials and support staff went for Covid-19 tests on Sunday after Hassan Kajoke, Ernest Kakhobwe and Stanley Billiat had tested positive last week, a statement posted on the club’s website www.nyasabigbullets.com said.

“Out of the 49 that took the test, seven players and one official tested positive, namely Mike Mkwate, Henry Kabichi, Nelson Kangunje, McFallen Mgwira, Luke Chima, Richard Chimbamba and Yamikani Magombo, the team’s Coid-19 Desk Officer.

“The Club realizes there is still a job to do as we continue tracing and making sure we are all free from the infection. As a team we will do whatever it takes to follow all the necessary measures to prevent further spreading of the virus.

All positive cases involving players and staff will observe a period of self-isolation in accordance with Super League of Malawi and Malawi Government safety protocol,” Bullets said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Times online has quoted SULOM vice general secretary Zack Nyirenda as saying the Blantyre derby which was due this Saturday at the Kamuzu stadium has been postponed.

Instead, the match will now be played in late February or March next year.

“We have been forced to change because of circumstances beyond our control,” Nyirenda told Times, Tuesday morning.

 

Click to comment

Leave your comment

More in TNM Super League